Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Crash

and no I don't mean a crash by Sadie or any things similiar, but it is the crash of our computer...yes, our life line to people back in the states. Last Thursday, I had no idea how that day could be so very emotional! I woke up from a nap to check my email before Sadie woke up and when I turned on the computer, I got a gray screen with a flashing file folder with a question mark in the center. Never a good sign...I thought, hmm, let me turn it off and turn it back on and see what happens. Same results, I knew this was a very bad thing. There was really nothing we could do until that evening when calling the Support Center to get them to talk us through this thing. I started off that afternoon, tears of course, but being okay with this. You see, we had no external hard drive and ALL of Sadie's pictures from the first year of her life were on there. Yes, I am still mourning the loss and hopeful we can still retrieve them. The past week, I had been reading and studying a lot about trials and how we need to have JOY when we are enduring them. As I was reading and spending time with Father, I thought, okay, good stuff to remember but here again, I am not going through any trials right now...wrong, a few days later bam! a trial! I began that day with joy, thinking okay, I still have the health of me and Jackson, Sadie, and my husband. My family is safe and we are doing great. Computers are replaceable. I kept thinking how Father could turn this out for his good. Well, evening came, and more of my flesh came out. I was so upset I couldn't even talk. All I could do was lay around and think, what will we do??? We called the support people and to no avail, nothing worked. Nothing. The only thing left to do was go to Hong Kong, the nearest store, to get our computer looked at. We live about 5 hours away by plane so the tickets were super expensive, almost the price of a computer. There is an upcoming holiday in China and so getting tickets was really hard, we could get there, but couldn't gt back. Providence, I tell you. We weren't supposed to go. We slept that night and I just knew that Father was telling us that we weren't supposed to go right now. And so the next morning Clark and I talked through it and we didn't go. We thought, maybe Father wants us to be without a computer for this time to learn something. We knew that when we go to Thailand for Jackson's birth that we could get it fixed then. Well, that day, we had made our decision and I shared it with our friends here in our city. Our sweet friends then so graciously offered to let us use one of their computers until we leave for Thailand so that we will have access to the states. AMAZING or what?? Father answers our prayers when we ask!! So, we are able to have this connection and I was able to use this testimony of Father's faithfulness and also of my weakness of flesh to share with friends here. Please continue to pray for our computer situation, we still have no idea if we will be able to retrieve the information or what. But something that I do know...God is faithful even when we are not!

4 comments:

it's me, erica. said...

OH man - how awful! I can't imagine the emotions that you just have gone through... but how fantastic is it when we can see God teaching us even through things like losing a computer.
So - what day do you leave for Tland? Let's talk about what kind of computer and external HD... but for now - go sign up TONIGHT for a flickr account. www.flickr.com. I am not kidding. Go now. Sign up and get in the habit of uploading all your keepers in full quality to that free site... (if you have tons of pictures then you pay, but if you only upload a few at a time it is free). Then you will always have them. Just make a habit of doing it each time you take pictures off your camera.
Love you!!

Jodie said...

OH,Larlar, I know the feeling,well kind of. It will work out, wow how God works huh? I thought we lost 2 years worth of pics, but we got them retrieved! Anyway, I love you and hope you get them back. Oh, and go buy an external drive! We did. That reminds me, I need to download them again!

Elizabeth said...

I store my pictures on Picasa. Love it and you can also put that on web albums. www.picasa.com It is free all the way. It's through Picasa that I began to blog. anyway - that's my suggestion. Liz ( don't forget that you'll have a lot of pictures on your past blog posts and those you've sent friends and family. If they haven't deleted)

Aubrey said...

I so wish I could send my Joshua to you. He has some mad computer skillz! In the mean time, we will be praying that Sadie's pictures can be recovered! Love you, friend!